Dr. George Gayagay
BMedSc(Hons); MBBS(Hons-1); FRACS(Ortho)
- MBBS (Hons), Medicine and Surgery, University of Sydney
- BMedSc (Hons-1), Medical Science, Pathology and Genetics Major, University of Sydney
- FRACS(Orth) – Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- B.Eng – Mechanical Engineering, University of the Phillipines (Honorable)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Orthopaedic Fellow)
- Australian Orthopaedic Association (Associate)
- Australian Medical Association (Member)
- Philippine Australia Medical Association (Director)
- Long Term Advisor Orthopaedic Surgeon to East Timor at Royal Australasian College of Surgeons / AUSAID
- Clinical and Research Joint Arthroplasty Fellowship in Adult Joint Reconstruction at The Canberra Orthopaedic Group, and The Canberra Hospital ACT, Australia
- Orthopaedic Surgeon Visiting Medical Officer at Hills Private Hospital, NSW.
- Orthopaedic Surgeon Visiting Medical Officer at Norwest Private Hospital, NSW.
- Orthopaedic Surgeon Visiting Medical Officer at Albury Hospital, NSW.
- Locum Orthopaedic Staff Specialist at Armidale Hospital, NSW.
Research, Awards and Publications
- MBBS Honours Thesis: NonAlcoholic Steatohepatitis
- Awarded Hinder Memorial Prize for Surgery and Clinical Surgery for Honour’s Thesis
- BMedSc Honours thesis: The Role of Genes in Athletic Performance
- Published: “Elite endurance athletes and the ACE I allele – the role of genes in athletic performance.” Human Genetics 103(1):48-50
- Admitted to the Golden Key National Honour Society
- Blacktown City Council Tertiary Scholarship
Publications (articles and abstracts)
- G. Gayagay. Misconception of Surgery for Orthopaedic Trauma in East Timor (2011) RACS Victorian Annual General Scientific & Fellowship Meeting. Selected for oral presentation in Oct 2011.
- G. Gayagay, B. Hambly, R. Trent. Elite Endurance Athletes and The ACE I Allele – The Role of Genes in Athletic Performance. (1998) International Journal of Human Genetics, Volume 103 pp 38 – 50
- N. Nagaratnam & G. Gayagay. Validation of the Cumulative Illness Rating Scale in Hospitalized Nonagenarians. (2007) Archives Gerontology and Geriatrics Volume 44 pp 29 – 36.
- N. Nagaratnam & G. Gayagay. A Review of an Accusatory Form of Dementia in the Elderly. (2006) American Journal of Alzheimers Diseases and Other Dementias. ;21 pp 164-8
- G. Gayagay. Misconception of Surgery for Orthopaedic Trauma in East Timor (2011). Presented at the RACS Victorian Annual General Scientific & Fellowship Meeting.
- G. Gayagay. Basic Principles of Radiology and Radiographic Exposures in Orthopaedics (2011). Presented to the department of radiology radiographer group at the Hospital Nacional Guido Valadares, Dili, East Timor.
- G. Gayagay. Complimenting Surgical Training Through the Internet: Case study – Gastrocnemius flap for cover in Tibial B3 open fractures as seen in Youtube (2011). Presented to the Hospital Nacional Guido Valadares Registrar group, Dili, East Timor.
- G. Gayagay. Principles of Tendon Transfers (2008). Presented at the combined Orthopaedic/Plastic hand teaching session at the Sydney Hands Hospital.
- G. Gayagay. Shoulder Instability (2007). Presented at the AOA accredited trainee teaching session (Bone School).
- Supporting the development and sharing of knowledge to improve the quality of orthopaedic care globally
- Volunteer Doctor to Cambodia, Philippines, East Timor
- Building schools, infrastructure and medical missions to underprivileged communities in places such as Indonesia and the Philippines
- Dr. Gayagay is also an avid practitioner of Kendo, a cyclist and a golfer